Welcome to GlobalPaw Dog Forums

GlobalPaw provides dog lovers with valuable content including Dog Pictures, Dog Chat Room, Member Blogs, Dog Articles, Dog Treat Recipes, and more!

Dog Forum Notices

Dog Health Forum Come here for all your health concerns about your dogs.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Points: 3,887, Level: 26 Points: 3,887, Level: 26 Points: 3,887, Level: 26
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Excessive Yawning

Hi guys. I have a Yellow Lab about 4 years old. It seems that everytime he's around me he yawns a lot, even a few times per minute. Unfortunately he usually yawning right in my face, and the smell is real bad. He doesn't really have that bad of breath when he's panting or breathing, but when he yawns it's real bad.

Any of you had a similar experience?

By the way, here he is:

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2004, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Points: 53,938, Level: 100 Points: 53,938, Level: 100 Points: 53,938, Level: 100

Rep Power: 377 Crossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forum

Awwww and what a beautiful boy he is Excessive yawning is fairly indicative of stress unless the dog is just about to lay down for a nap. Not all dogs do this but some will when stressed about something or overly nervous.

Has he always been this way or is this something new for him?

I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief.
~ Gerry Spence
As a member of Global paw staff my opinions are not necessarily those of the website or the owner.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well he is usually napping...either on my bed or the couch. I have him outside for a couple hours a day to get all the wiggles outside. He seems to have some fun sniffing around the perimeter of the fence where a couple other dogs are next door, that keeps him entertained. Once one of them (a small poodle or something) got under the fence with a hole they apparently dug and ran around my lawn, Lucky had a lot of fun there . Anyway...

I've tried inside toys like Kong with peanut butter to keep him occupied, but he just licks the peanut butter out of it and doesn't really chew it. He's never really been a chewer, unless it's like a "pizzle stick", which I cannot seem to find around here. Tried tug-of-rope toys, he never really gets into tugging on it, just puts it in his mouth for a second then drops it before I start tugging on it.

So the short answer to your question if this is a new thing or not, I'd say no. I've noticed it for a long time.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Points: 53,938, Level: 100 Points: 53,938, Level: 100 Points: 53,938, Level: 100

Rep Power: 377 Crossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCrossfire Bulldogs user is more repute than ever in the dog forum

Then it may just be your big guys way of releasing a little bit of extra unspent energy rather than stress or if it is just when he's close to napping just because he's tired.

Ever tried flyball with him?

~ Gerry Spence
As a member of Global paw staff my opinions are not necessarily those of the website or the owner.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire Bulldogs
Ever tried flyball with him?
Not sure what that is
Old 11-13-2004, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

Flyball is a relay race with 4 dogs on a team. The course consists of a starting line, 4 hurdles spaced 10 feet apart and a box. The first hurdle is 6 feet from the start line and the box is 15 feet from the last hurdle for a 51 foot overall length. The dogs jump the hurdles and steps on a spring loaded box that shoots out a tennis ball. The dog catches the tennis ball and then runs back over the 4 hurdles. When the dog crosses the starting line the next dog goes. The first team to have all 4 dogs run without errors wins the heat.

Rally is also a great release of extra energy and the dogs really enjoy it.

~ Gerry Spence
Old 11-13-2004, 10:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm guessing that would require more training, and then finding a place that even does that kind of stuff. I don't know anyone really with dogs, and he doesn't have any dog friends so I'm not sure how we'd get started with that.

Any other suggestions for releasing energy in the house, any specific toys that he could play with on his own or anything? He really does like the peanut butter kong, but he just licks the peanut butter out of it and doesn't really chew it
Old 11-13-2004, 10:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Points: 9,579, Level: 42 Points: 9,579, Level: 42 Points: 9,579, Level: 42

Talking

HI ya great pic just wanna ask ya a question?
Did your lab bark throigh the night?
Andwas he/she hard to train coz ive got a 8 year old balck lan=b and a 5 month old yallow lab puppy and its my frist time getting a ppuy so i dont know!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's another interesting thing about my Lab is that he has never really barked. From the time we got him he has only barked a few times, and has only whimpered a few times too. I was wondering several months ago if there was something wrong with him, but based on the advise of several people on another forum they think he's just a non-vocal dog.

Regarding the training, we went to two obedience classes and he did very well in those. Potty training was easy, he only messed in the house 2-3 times.

This is my first puppy/dog too. It was a great experience and he's a great dog.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
Points: 10,716, Level: 44 Points: 10,716, Level: 44 Points: 10,716, Level: 44

Send a message via AIM to sheltiepups Send a message via Yahoo to sheltiepups

aww so cute!
Old 11-13-2004, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Here's a few more pics, they arent the best lighted as they are kinda old but he still looks about the same

http://img48.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img48..._bed_face1.jpg
http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46..._bed_face2.jpg
http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=Lucky1.jpg
http://img46.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img46&image=Lucky.jpg
Old 11-13-2004, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
Points: 47,266, Level: 95 Points: 47,266, Level: 95 Points: 47,266, Level: 95
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%

Rep Power: 418 Carrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forum

Send a message via AIM to Carrie

Quote:
It seems that everytime he's around me he yawns a lot,
Sorry....I couldn't help chuckle when I first read that. You're not boring are you? Just kidding.

Well, yawning really is a sign that the dog is trying to get a little more oxygen. So, if he is tired or stressed, he may have been breathing a little irregularily and now needs to get his level straightened out. If you think this is excessive and more than anything you've ever seen, I would ask a vet if it's anything else to worry about....have the vet listen to his lungs. Maybe he has a little asthma or allergies. Does he sound funny or seem to be congested at all? If it's not extreme, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie
Sorry....I couldn't help chuckle when I first read that. You're not boring are you? Just kidding.
Haha, maybe I am to him, not sure. He also does it a lot when I'm not around too, because when he yawns he makes a "EHHHHHHHHHHHH" sound and I can hear it throughout the house. He doesnt seem to be breathing irregularly. In fact I just got up from laying down for a bit and he was in there with me, he only yawned once in 30 minutes, the rest of the time he was laying down with his head down at the foot of the bed.

This is probably crazy but it seems sometimes when he yawns in my face a few times and I get a good wiff of it I start to get a headache.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 418 Carrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forumCarrie user is more repute than ever in the dog forum

Quote:
This is probably crazy but it seems sometimes when he yawns in my face a few times and I get a good wiff of it I start to get a headache.
Oh my!!!! Maybe he needs a dietary change. If it's that bad, I think I'd ask the vet. Maybe his teeth?
Old 11-13-2004, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)

btw...your Lab is very nice! What a sweet expression he has.